North Carolina People, Places, and Things-August 11
I am the dad to five adult children. As they were growing up I attempted to remind them they were special and to implore them to learn something new. My goal was to do that daily.
In 2016 my goal is to learn something new daily on the people, places, and things that make North Carolina special. Everyday this year I am doing a post on what I have learned new.
In North Carolina like many states there are many boards and commissions. I did not realize how many there were. The Governor of North Carolina appoints individuals to serve on over 400 different boards and commissions.
The duties of the various boards and commissions that the Governor appoints range from directing educational institutions like our universities and community colleges, to regulating state agencies, to advising state government on a broad range of policy from crime to the environment.
The Governor in North Carolina is not the only entity making appointments. The Lieutenant Governor, Senate President Pro Tem and House Speaker, also make appointments.
For instance the Lt. Governor has the ability to appoint persons to the following boards:
- NC Biotechnology Center Board of Directors (3 appointments)
- NC Blumenthal Center for Performing Arts Foundation Board of Trustees
- NC State Community Corrections Advisory Board (3 appointments)
- Public School Forum Board of Directors
- NC Rural Economic Development Center Board of Directors (3 appointments)
- NC Sentencing and Policy Advisory Commission (2 appointments)
- Southeastern NC Regional Economic Development Commission
- Western NC Regional Economic Development Commission
- Vagabond School of Drama Board of Directors (2 appointments)
- Domestic Violence Commission
- Teaching Fellow Commission
- Boxing Advisory Commission
A link to the complete list of boards (57 pages) can be found below: