Coach4aday blog posts are written by John Rancke and I. We write daily about leadership, food, people, music, our granddaughters, Lumberton NC, and things that pique our curiosity.
If you want to follow the blog via email go to the bottom right of the post and click the follow button.
My twitter handle is @coach4aday2 if you want to follow the blog that way.
John’s twitter handle is @johnrancke if you want to reach out to him.
First Date or How we Met Stories
My wife and I get to host dinner parties at various times of the year. Sometimes it is just friends or in the case of Friday night it was a fundraiser for UNC Pembroke Athletics. There was an auction back in April and we donated a Cajun Dinner for twelve. The evening included live music from a great North Carolina musician named Lakota John and a celebrity wait staff that included a NFL referee Brad Allen and his wife Twilla.
It was as great evening as hopefully the photos below will show.
When we host dinner parties we have two traditions. One you don’t sit with your spouse/guest and two at end of the night everyone has to tell their first date story or how they met their spouse/guest.
We have been doing this for some 15 years and the all time winner is Monica and Bobby Osburn. If you like stealing and siphoning gas to be included in your first date stories then you will howl when you read how Bobby and Monica experienced a blind date.
You can read their first date story here. No one quite topped that story on Friday evening but we had some pretty good stuff.
We had 6 couples so here are some highlights:
- A college basketball coach awkwardly began the evening by telling about his 1st ever date story not his first date with his wife. To his credit he recovered.
- A 16-year-old teenage girl sent to a neighboring beach house by her parents to check on her older sister and wound up being matched up with a future chiropractor.
- A young lawyer taking his future wife out for dinner at an expensive steak house and being so nervous he didn’t eat much. She asked at end of the evening for his steak.
- A reluctant party goer on a Sunday night made quite a negative impression on a young lady. She turned him down repeatedly for first dates to The Master’s and UGA football games. She finally relented and next month they celebrate 50 years of being married.
- A trial attorney had a court reporter show him a picture of her single daughter living in Raleigh-so in essence he used a court order to get his future wife phone number to go out on a date.
- Two teenagers attended church together-the guy kept turning the hymnal to songs that may have a suggestive title. The young girl bested him by turning to Hymn #333 see below
If you have a first date story please share it with us.