Coach4aday blog posts are ideas that are shared to help people grow and learn.
If you want to follow the blog via email go to the bottom right of the post and click the follow button.
My twitter handle is @coach4aday2 if you want to follow the blog that way.
Each year the blog takes on a different focus. In 2019 the goal is for each post to bring you the reader a lesson, quote, message, or story that can help you grow.
1955 Baseball Trading Card of Yogi Berra
When you read Yogi quotes you might go huh!!!!!
I stumbled across another man who quotes might be at the other end of the intellectual spectrum. This man was a Greek philosopher and is considered the main source of Western thought
Here are some of Socrates quotes
. “The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
2. “The unexamined life is not worth living.”
3. “There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
4. “I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only make them think”
5. “Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.”
6. “Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.”
7. “By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you’ll become happy; if you get a bad one, you’ll become a philosopher.”
8. “He who is not contented with what he has, would not be contented with what he would like to have.”
9. “If you don’t get what you want, you suffer; if you get what you don’t want, you suffer; even when you get exactly what you want, you still suffer because you can’t hold on to it forever. Your mind is your predicament. It wants to be free of change. Free of pain, free of the obligations of life and death. But change is law and no amount of pretending will alter that reality.”
10. “Sometimes you put walls up not to keep people out, but to see who cares enough to break them down.”
11. “Wonder is the beginning of wisdom.”
12. “To find yourself, think for yourself.”
13. “Education is the kindling of a flame, not the filling of a vessel.”
14. “Know thyself.”
15. “Let him who would move the world first move himself.”
16. “The secret of happiness, you see, is not found in seeking more, but in developing the capacity to enjoy less.”
17. “The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new.”
18. “I am not an Athenian or a Greek, but a citizen of the world.”
19. “Prefer knowledge to wealth, for the one is transitory, the other perpetual.”
20. “understanding a question is half an answer”
21. “True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us”
22. “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.”
23. “To be is to do”
24. “The mind is everything; what you think you become”
Socrates ticked off the Athenian leaders with his teaching. After his trial, he was found guilty of corrupting the young minds of Athens because he told the truth. He was sentenced to die by drinking hemlock, which is poisonous.
Yogi quotes make you laugh but Socrates told us the truth. Sometimes we need to be reminded to do both in fact several people have been attributed to reminding us of that very fact.
There is a quote often attributed to many including Oscar Wilde, George Bernard Shaw, and Charles Ludlam that goes like this
If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they’ll kill you.