Coach4aday blog posts are ideas that are shared to help people grow and learn. Would love for you to consider following the blog with one of the like buttons. You can follow by email at bottom right of post.
My twitter handle is @coach4aday2 if you want to follow the blog that way.
Each year the blog takes on a different focus. In 2019 the goal is for each post to bring you the reader a lesson, quote, message, or story that can help you grow.
On Saturday in preparation for the possible arrival of Hurricane Dorian I went out to start my generator. I have learned a few tricks about starting a generator after two hurricanes in less than three years.
One is to treat the fuel in your gas cans for assured shelf life longevity. You do this by pouring a little gas ADDITIVE into your storage gas can. A second way is to add just a little ADDITIVE to the gas in your generator. I did both and my generator ran fine after sitting idle for nearly 6 months.
Thankfully Hurricane Dorian didn’t force us to use the generator but it was ready.
ADDITIVES are not just for machines-there are many designed for human consumption.
Not all ADDITIVES are good for the human body. Thanks to labeling you can tell what the food you consume has had added.
There seems to be pretty good consensus that this list of 12 below might not be healthy for a specific reason(s).
1. Hydrogenated Fats – cardiovascular disease, obesity
2. Artificial Food Colors – allergies, asthma, hyperactivity; possible carcinogen
3. Nitrites and Nitrates – these substances can develop into nitrosamines in body, which can be carcinogenic
4. Sulfites (sulfur dioxide, metabisulfites, and others)-allergic and asthmatic reactions
5. Sugar and Sweeteners – obesity, dental cavities, diabetes and hypoglycemia, increased triglycerides (blood fats) or candida (yeast)
6. Artificial Sweeteners (Aspartame, Acesulfame K and Saccharin)-behavioral problems, hyperactivity, allergies, and possibly carcinogenic. The government cautions against the use of any artificial sweetener by children and pregnant women. Anyone with PKU (phenylketonuria-a problem of phenylalanine, an amino acid, metabolism) should not use aspartame (Nutrasweet).
7. MSG (monosodium glutamate) – common allergic and behavioral reactions, including headaches, dizziness, chest pains, depression and mood swings; also a possible neurotoxin
8. Preservatives (BHA, BHT, EDTA, etc.) – allergic reactions, hyperactivity, possibly cancer-causing; BHT may be toxic to the nervous system and the liver
9. Artificial Flavors – allergic or behavioral reactions
10. Refined Flour – low-nutrient calories, carbohydrate imbalances, altered insulin production
11. Salt (excessive) – fluid retention and blood pressure increases
12. Olestra (an artificial fat) – diarrhea and digestive disturbances