North Carolina People, Places, and Things-December 22
I am the dad to five adult children. As they were growing up I attempted to remind them they were special and to implore them to learn something new. My goal was to do that daily.
In 2016 my goal is to learn something new daily on the people, places, and things that make North Carolina special. Everyday this year I am doing a post on what I have learned new.
If you are like me as you drive across North Carolina especially the rural parts you have noticed an increase in solar energy farms. The photo below shows the ribbon cutting on a solar farm located just outside of Fairmont NC.
I went searching for verification if in fact solar farms are really increasing at a rapid rate in our state. Here is what I was able to find from Solar Energy Industry Association website.
North Carolina is #3 in the country when it comes to recent installations of solar farms.
Facts on the North Carolina Solar Industry
- There are currently more than 206 solar companies1 at work throughout the value chain in North Carolina, employing 5,950 people2 .
- In 2015, North Carolina installed 1,140 MW of solar electric capacity, ranking it second nationally3. Installed solar capacity in North Carolina has grown by 187% over the last year.
- In 2015, $1.689 billion was invested on solar installations in North Carolina. This represents a 159% increase over the previous year, and is expected to grow again this year.
- The 2,436 MW of solar energy currently installed in North Carolina ranks the state third in the country in installed solar capacity. There is enough solar energy installed in the state to power 260,000 homes.
- Over the next five years, North Carolina is expected to install 3,656 MW of solar electric capacity, ranking the state third over that time span. This amount is more than 2 times the amount of solar installed over the last five years.